Friday, February 19, 2010

Hey, I'll tty....New Text Message..AARGH!

You know what really grinds my gears?

I hate when I'm sending a text message to somebody, and then during my text, I receive a new message, and it interrupts my train of thought on my first text.

I'm sure we've all had that problem some time or another. You're texting somebody, and up pops the new window: New Message. To view, or not to view, that is the question.

If you decide to view the new message, you may forget what you wanted to say with your original text. However, you will be enlightened with new knowledge, especially if it contains some good gossip.

Now if you decide to view the message later, you may not receive some necessary information that you need for the text that you are currently sending. Of course, if that were to happen, then you could always play coy and be like, "oh, I didn't see your last text..."

Now with this situation, you face a few risks. If you decide to view the text, and it just says the famous, "K," then you've wasted your time and you may have lost your train of thought on your original text. However, if you don't view the text, and it is something valuable for your original text, then it is difficult to go back on what you first sent, and thus, there may be some issues. And if there is one place you don't want to have issues, it's over text messages, since those can be saved for future torture and blackmail.

So are there possible guidelines that we may follow for what to do with an interrupting text message? Sure, let's create some.

1) If the text message comes from the person you are currently texting, check it. The new text message may have some necessary information.

2) If the interrupting text message comes from someone unexpected, don't check it. It won't have too much of an impact on what you are currently texting.

3) If the interrupting text message comes from a parent, check it. You never know what they have to say. And you don't want to make them angry.

4) Picture messages can wait, I promise.

5) When in doubt, I say check. Or, you could finish your original text, don't send it, view the new message, and then revise your current text message, if necessary.

I hope that these guidelines may help you in your future texting endeavors. The pain of an interrupting text message is severe, but with willpower we can overcome.

And that it what really grinds my gears.

Cameron

2 comments:

Samantha Crandall said...

Quite interesting. However, my phone doesn't open a window saying view or later. It simply screws my life up by making me miss a letter and making T9 go insane.

Samantha

H. said...

This has never happened to me. I guess that's the difference between sending 150 texts per month versus 150 texts per day.

Love the blog, Cameron!