Sunday, August 15, 2010

Speed Limit: e mph

You know what really grinds my gears?

I really hate speed limit signs that are not multiples of 5. I like my speed limits of 35, 40, 45, and so on, but put a speed limit of 14 mph or 8 mph, and I just don't get it. Who has that much care to go exactly 13.23482124 mph, when our odometers are precisely marked off at 5 mph intervals?

I notice the odd speed limits when I am in neighborhoods, particularly old people neighborhoods and fancy neighborhoods. Just driving by one neighborhood, I saw a 14 mph speed limit sign. I didn't drive through there, but I am just trying to wonder how would I get to that speed? I know that some of the fancier cars have digital odometers that give the exact speed, so if that is you, go ahead and stop reading, since this blog is not for the elite that you all are.

(I don't mean that, please keep reading, and don't be offended)

But for those of you fancy-digital-twenty-first-century car drivers, just share the plight of the average and regular car driver. Imagine having to drive a 13 mph speed limit. So halfway between 10 and 15 is 12.5. So from 12.5 mph, 13 mph is going to cover 1/5 of the arc between 12.5 and 15 mph. I don't know how many of you carry around a protractor with you at all times, but measuring those angles and driving at the same time is not recommended, unless you want that protractor to go through your head.

Wait, you all don't carry a protractor with you? Oh dear, I feel a little awkward now...It's not bad to be obsessed with Geometry, right?

Now I'm sure some of you are reading this and you don't find a 13 mph or an 8 mph speed limit to be weird or annoying. Why? Because who drives the speed limit anyways? We're all told that the speed limits are not "serving suggestions," but most of us treat them as such. Whether you drive over or under, I can't say that we all drive the exact speed limit. Physically, that requires a great amount of precision to get exactly 70 mph, but mentally, when you want to get somewhere, you want to get there as soon as possible.

**NOTE: This is not a recommendation on my part to drive over the speed limit. All traffic laws and regulations of your respective state of residence should be followed. But hey, we are all human, hopefully.

And that is what really grinds my gears.

Cameron

Also, I may start a Duke 365 blog, to mark my first-year adventure through college. Yay or nay? Let me know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. The speed limit to get inside Adventure Island is like 17mph. We drive by in wonder. And then we make jokes.
(Also, no, I don't walk around with a protractor, but I do have lots of compasses)

Signed,
Your favorite sophomore

dickwood said...

I always have a protractor and compass in my backpack during the school year :)

Samantha Crandall said...

Cam, I agree so very much. And please do a Duke 365, because I'm dying to know what goes down at the schools for the intelligent and fancy pants'ed! :)