Monday, February 2, 2009

Food Blog #1: Hot Dogs

You know what really grinds my gears?

I can't stand it when I buy a pack of 10 hot dogs, but I only can find a bag of 8 hot dog rolls to buy.

Now let me set the premise that this is one of many food related blogs that I will post, so please enjoy.

Now I am a fan of the hot dogs. There is nothing more that I enjoy on a Sunday afternoon than some L & A (if you need to look that up, go ahead) cooked on the grill. However, my absolute favorite kind of hot dog is the all-famous Oscar Mayer Cheese Dog! Nothing can compare to the taste of processed cheese injected into the center of a hot dog.

So if you haven't noticed, most hot dogs come in packs in 10, yet the hot dog rolls that I buy (Martin's Potato Rolls) only come in packs of 8.

Now I am just slightly mathematically advanced, so I can determine that there are two extra buns over hot dogs (10-8=2). So to equalize the number of buns to the number of hot dogs, I could double the buns, leaving 6 extra buns, or using some math, I could buy 4 packs of Cheese Dogs and 5 packs of buns and pray that I am really hungry for hot dogs.

To my knowledge, I have heard that some buns come in 10-packs and vice versa for hot dogs, but there should be some uniformity. If Rockefeller could use vertical integration to control quality of production, then Oscar Mayer should gain control of the hot dog bun industry and standardize the numbers.

And that is what grinds my gears.

Stay tuned for food blog #2, where we analyze the geometry of the sandwich.

And I apologize for the extensive use of math, but math is important to me, so I try to incorporate it into daily life.

Cameron

No comments: